Disclainer

The contents of this Web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

It's Char Shambe Suree in Indonesia. Except that Char Shambe Suree is the Iranian holiday when people jump over fire to burn off the sins of the past year before No Rooz on March 21. There's an Iranian-American woman volunteer here with me so we will celebrate together with the others around us.  I've got a couple of cultures going on here at the same time.
In Basa Indonesian (my newest language) I can greet people at different times of day, introduce myself and ask the names of others, inquire about people's health, ask the names of things and get simple directions. I know the names of colors and can count to ten.  The first 50 or perhaps 75 seemingly unrelated list of vocabulary words is starting to sink in and my third day of classes tomorrow will bring new communication skills.
It is wonderfully hot. It didn't rain today so the humidity is sky high. The three major downpours of yesterday were real drenchers. 
The internet connection comes and goes without warning.  I feel pushed to write and send when I can and bypass spelling corrections to get anything out on line.  Sorry about that. Language number 7 isn't going to be the one in which I spell correctly either.

2 comments: