Disclainer

The contents of this Web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Monday, August 4, 2014

Kite Flyers
Kids of various ages fly kits every afternoon. It’s kinda fun to watch.  I have counted as many as 25 of the things flying high above Garut.
There are kite eating trees and wires everywhere. I often see string hanging. Perhaps it is the old Peace Corps mentality I have that makes me wind up the strings I find. I have no use for these bundles of different colored string and fishing line.  I just roll them up and save them.
Today I discovered why I collect them. I was the first teacher to get to the school today.  I thought there was to be a meeting of English teachers. I guess I was wrong. I’m told school is to start tomorrow so perhaps tomorrow I will meet my counterparts and learn what classes they teach.  There’s time. As I was standing in front of the door to the men teachers’ room waiting for the guard to get the key, I looked across the courtyard at one of the big trees there. High up in a branch was a big white owl. The poor bird was tangled in kite wire, dead. The guard got the owl out of the tree after he opened the door for me. Now I know why I can’t leave string in trees.
I probably wouldn’t be so upset if I hadn’t read through all the Harry Potter books during Ramadan.


No comments:

Post a Comment