Disclainer

The contents of this Web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Reading Harry for Ramadon

June 25, 2014
I had an e-mail from a dear friend yesterday.  She’s a PCV in East Java. She wrote about having nothing to do. Her school is on a two week vacation following re-testing. Friday (or there about) starts Ramadon, the month of fasting when everything gets turned day to night. She wrote about her English teacher counterpart and the host family with whom she lives. She said she was going to re-read all of the Harry Potter books to help her pass the time when nothing is going on.  This seems like a really good idea. The phrase, “Reading Harry for Ramadon” has stuck in my mind since I read her e-mail. I think I want to do the same. I’m not sure I will tell my new Muslim friends that I’m reading books about wizards during their Islamic holy month. I might just keep that to myself.  Seven books I like during a month of nothing going on during the day – Yea.  I can do

My PCV friend’s counterpart is really looking after her.  REALLY looking after her.  She is feeling a little restrained. I can kinda understand the Indonesian guy’s thinking.  Here comes a 23 year old pretty American woman into a school and community where there has never been a resident American yet along a pretty young female American. He’s trying to make sure nothing untoward happens while he is on duty.
She’s living in a small village where every time she sticks her head out of the door of her host family’s house, the entire village knows it. She’s probably hears, “Hello Miss” a thousand time a day or more.
The formal welcomes are over. She’s been shown around her school. She’s met the neighbors. Everyone in the village knows who she is.
She’s the new American English teacher. Except there is no English teaching to do at the moment. Her school has been closed since re-testing finished last week.  There may or may not be classes the second week of Ramadon but the first, third and fourth weeks are off for sure. A national school vacation starts right after the vacation for the end of Ramadon. The “Peace Corps Community Entry Workbook” assignment for the third week at site is to ‘Get to know your community.” She met the entire town the first or second day she was there. Yep! Reading seven books about wizards sounds like a good idea.
I’m gonna read them too. I’m in a very similar boat to my friend. I was thrilled by the surprise of finding 430 future ninth graders at the school when I walked over this morning.  Seems the school has 430 boys and girls whose parents want them in this school but the school has places for only 330 of them. I walked around the school and talked to as many of the prospective students as I could before they had to go into the classrooms.  As I sit here in the men teacher’s room tying, the 430 are taking a qualifying test. The school will accept only the top 330. I’m pretty sure those are the only students I will get to even talk to for the next long while.
The counterpart I have met (I may have another but that teacher has yet to reveal him or herself) lives two hours away from Garut and only makes the commute when he has to.  The principal of my school, a strong supporter of Peace Corps and the English Language, also commutes 2 hours and also only comes when he has to. He doesn’t have to these weeks. I’m on my own.
Garut is a big place. Use Google Earth to have a look at it. It goes for miles in every direction. I have walked and walked and walked and walked and not covered a fraction of the place. A goodly portion of my neighbors and shop keepers round my home and school and in between have seen and greeted the new American man in town. The street the school is on is a quiet one.  Little kids perhaps 5 – 7 years old play out in the street all the time.  I’m greeted by shouts of “Hello!” and “Good Morning” every time I pass. I’m working on getting them to say “Good afternoon” as I pass on my way after lunch when I come over to the school to use the Internet.
My house on the pond continues to fascinate me. I’ve started a little garden beside my veranda. I watch the fish. I play with the 1 ½ year old grandson and think of my grand-nephews the same age. My host family mother makes great tasting varied meals. (Perhaps a lot of tofu but I know it’s good for me.)  Otherwise, life on the pond is a little quiet.
I think I’ll read Harry for Ramadon.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you back again! Jim has just ordered two books about Indonesia (by Elizabeth Pisani; heard of her??) and wants to send them to you. Are there any duty/import restrictions about receiving books?? There are no wizards in them... Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete